Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Accordions and stomping feet

Over the few days I had before orientation I just kind of spent some more time wandering around the city. I went to a "world fair" type thing with my friend's roommates. It ended up being tents representing maybe 12 countries - all countries around Spain or which speak Spanish. The Mexico tent was interesting - full of Aztec decorations and Easter Island heads. TexMex here is also NOT what I think of haha.

But now orientation is going on, so I'm in a hotel over the next couple of days. The stuff we're being taught I've mostly already heard before, but it's not so bad. We all went to a flamenco show tonight which was amazing, and now I'm sold on taking flamenco lessons. I mean come on, put passionate dancing/stomping and amazing guitar music together and you've got yourself a winning combination. I've also been kind of scoping out yoga classes and places to go run - so if this keeps up I'm going to come home more in shape than when I left haha. It won't take much, though, with the amount of walking I do all over the city.

Tomorrow I'll actually start the apartment search. We have free time until 3, so I figure that's enough time to give myself a jumpstart on looking.

One last thing...

So I'm walking home from the flamenco show tonight with three other girls and we see a guy a little ways ahead of us with an accordion strapped to his back. One of the girls yells "play us a song!" The guy stops, turns around, and begins to play. He walks with us and plays for us all the way to the hotel, and then yells "buenas noches" to us as we all go inside. I love Spain.

1 comment:

Ardith said...

Ole!!!

I'm so glad you are out and about. Now, be safe and careful!!!

Love you and keep those entries comin'

Mom!!!